Travelling to Canada from your native Country? And can’t imagine leaving your pooch or pet behind while you go on holidays to Canada? Then stop fretting! Because your idea or desire to take your loving pet along with your family is no big blunder. Canada is quite a dog-friendly country and the rules and regulations for taking dogs there is not as strict as those that apply into the countries like United Kingdom or Australia.
Different Travelling Rules When You Import Your Pet To Canada:
- You will need to get your pet vaccinated against rabies if you are taking your dog from a non rabies free country and your pet is more than three months of age.
- Proof of vaccination will be required for taking the pet into Canada. Also your pet will need to be accompanied by a veterinary certificate of origin that identifies your pet and states that no outbreak of rabies has been reported for the past six months in your country and your animal has been in the country for these past six months.
- For a dog which is older than eight months, all the requirements like inoculation against parvovirus, hepatitis, distemper and para influenza, and the details of these vaccinations should be listed on their veterinary certificate and will apply even when it is accompanied.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency: The best option is to get detailed information regarding taking your pet to Canada from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency so as rescuing yourself from being caught unprepared for any eventuality.
Choosing the Right Local Transportation for Your Loving Pet in Canadian Cities:
- Vancouver: Vancouver, BC (BC Ferries, www.bcferries.bc.ca ) is for both small and large dogs; all breeds are allowed on the ferries. Also, dogs are only allowed on the open air car deck and must stay in your car or tied in a designated pet area. Owners must stay with their pets.
- Calgary: You can use the services of Uship for pet shipping in Calgary and other places in Canada. They take excellent care of your pet and give you a break on prices because they are heading along that route. And if you wish to carry your pets along with you, then Limos in Calgary or limousine services are one of the coolest ways to travel around the beautiful lush green city with your pet, friends and family members. Easy and comfy with no travel mishaps involved.
- Toronto: Toronto, ON (TTC, www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc) Both small and large dogs are allowed during non-rush hour on the subway, buses, and streetcars. Here pets must be on a leash or in a carrier.
Selecting the Accessories for Pets While Travelling
With careful planning and carrying the right safety equipment; hitting the road with your canine and other pets’ companion can be fun and hassle free. Here is a list of pet accessories you must carry before you leave for Canada.
- Pet Microchips and ID tags: Pet tags are probably essential travel accessories that every roving pet should wear. Include the information like pets name, owner’s local contact information and out-of-town local contact information.
- Pet Seat-Covers: For safe car traveling, kitties should be housed in carriers. And dogs should be seated in seat covers that are made from eco-friendly, water-resistant or scratch-durable fabrics.
- Portable Litter Boxes: Do not forget to keep litter boxes before you travel with your dogs and cats. Keep your pets acquainted with the litter box in the weeks before you trip.
- Toys and Play Sets: Get prepare for fun. Let your pet enjoy and play with their favorite chew toys or pillow from home. These items also aids in keeping your pets calmer.
- First Aid Kit: The American Red Cross recommends the following basic supplies for any pet first aid-kit: gauze pads, gauze rolls and bandages, cotton swabs, instant cold pack, roll of cloth, tweezers, thermometer, hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment [source: American Red Cross].
- Travel water Dispenser: Go for collapsible travel bowls that are made of thick fabrics and have square bases to prevent them from tipping over.
- Pet Carriers: Grated metal doors will be the most secure and chew-proof carrier. Just opt for the strongest and most comfortable one for your pet.